Department of Zoology
The Department of Zoology is home to multidisciplinary approaches towards vast areas of biological sciences. The department aims to be a center of excellence in teaching as well as in diverse areas of research to promote knowledge, skills and expertise in students required to contribute to society as educators, research scientists and administrators. To meet the dire need of coming decades, the Department of Zoology is committed to impart updated education, to deliver society-oriented and need-based research, to develop an integrated program to enhance fisheries resources and their management, to hold regular seminars by invited speakers and subject specialists for the scientific grooming of students and faculty and to develop collaboration both at national and international levels.
Zoology as a subject is multidisciplinary in nature, involving study of Organisms and their genetic, morphological and physiological attributes, their surrounding environment, and their role in conservation of environment. Zoology is a combination of various disciplines such as Genetics, Physiology, Ecology, Developmental Biology, Microbiology, Parasitology, Entomology, Evolution, Taxonomy, Freshwater Biology, Fisheries and Wildlife etc. This subject has significant role in human resource development, food security, environmental conservation, sustainable development and ultimately in alleviation of poverty.
1. To impart knowledge about the major disciplines of Zoology. It will enable the students to understand the principles of organizations and inter-relationships in the biological systems with particular reference to animal diversity.
2. To teach different methods of exploration, investigation, organization of data and its utilization in practical life.
3. To train students for advanced studies and specialization on recently emerging technological and multidisciplinary fields such as Genetic Engineering, Biodiversity, Environmental Science, Wildlife and conservation, Fisheries and aquaculture, Pests and pest management, Biotechnology, etc. After completing the degree / students will be able to apply their knowledge to their respective fields effectively.
4. To equip students with knowledge and skills for better planning and management of animal resources, environment, health, medicine, agriculture and population in the country.
5. To develop the scientific culture and demonstrate professional skills in teaching / research/ managerial positions in wide range of professions in national and international organizations.